Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I have the BEST trains of thoughts EVER when I'm driving...

Wow. So last night, I was up til like 3 am coughing my lungs out because of some damn bug that apparently my entire family has (even though I haven't seen them in over a week). It just hit my mom (she's in frickin India right now I'm so jealous), and my dad, who is back home. Which means, I either got it from Egypt or somewhere at home and it was just latent for however long...stupid.

And then I woke up at 7 am to take my biochem test at 8. That was fun. After which I proceeded to vomit. Ok not really. But BOY did I crouch over that trash can and dry heave more than once, and I'm sure you needed to know that. It's like morning sickness. Except I'm not pregnant. Uhhh

But anyways, that's not the point of this post. The point of this post was, I think I have a life plan for the next two or so years! A life plan that I was able to come up with while I was driving. I feel like I drive everywhere these days. I drive to my grad class. I drive to my internship. I drive to houses. I drive to the airport. I drive to service events. GOSH.

Well today I was driving to my class (where we talked about the lives of commerical sex workers in Mumbai and how brothels operate. (Part of our segment on sexually risky behavior and behavioral theory and spread of STIs and things, it was super interesting...and crazy! There's like a 'brothel master' apparently, and said 'brothel master' has like a stopwatch and gives a time limit for the amount of time a sex worker can spend with a client of like two minutes, which isn't conducive to promoting any sort of protection whatsoever...and more stuff I won't go into now...this prof is crazy. He's originally from Britain, and he's an acrobatic jet plane stunt man, and he's like super old. And also, he spent like 15 years (recently) exploring the slums and brothels of Bombay and as part of a study on sexually risky behavior and HIV transmission among commercial sex workers. wowww, new dream job?) oh and I was coughing like crazy during the entire class and that was super bad cause our class is teleconferenced with all the other UT sites. So every time I would cough, people in Houston, Brownsville, Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso could hear the lovely sounds I was making. It was great.).

Right so that wasn't where this post was going. What I'm trying to say is I had a revelation while I was driving to class today. Here are my new plans, in chronological order, no more tangents this time:

1. Apply to med school this summer.
2. Spend my summer doing something fun. (That has yet to be figured out!! I hate applications ugh)
3. Graduate in May 2009 with my BA, my BS, and my Certificate
4. Defer my med school admission by a year if I get into a place I want to go...
...else try and apply again...hopefully that won't have to happen...
5. Take a year off!! And during said year off:
a. Finish the rest of my Masters in a semester (since I'll hopefully already have done half) and earn some cash
b. Put the Masters to work and spend a semester abroad (unless I get a really good deal somewhere in the US) or something, working. Also travel a LOT somewhere in there. I mean a LOT a LOT a LOT
6. Be super lame and go to med school after my year off, do my residency, internship, work my lame butt off blah blah blah.
And finally, have fulfilled the exact opposite of what my parents would ever, ever want to see me do.

That is all. If this actually happens I will be amazed. I'm tearing up. I definitely have a fever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where does Mr. Richa Gupta play into this?

r-gup said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
r-gup said...

haha what? a mr. richa gupta.

no such thing. he'd totally get in the way.

Anonymous said...

You are quite amazing reech. =)
i think from now on, i shall just read your blogs...that way, i know what your up to even though i never get to see you/speak with you.

and one day, you will be talking about our identical mansions on the California beach!! =D